Fix Access Issue After Updating Password on Mac | Instructions with Screenshots
No long story – you’ve updated a mac password for an app and now something has stopped working…
- Go to Applications > Utilities > and open “Keychain Access”
2. Search for the disconnected App in the top-right search bar – this will list all the keychains tied to the app — looking for password specific items
3. Click to open the password filtered result item (at the time of writing this, keychain passwords are denoted as blue @ symbols) — this opens up a pop-up window with the record details in step 4
4. Click the checkbox “Show Password” – this will prompt you with a “Keychain wants to make changes” — this is safe and normal
5. Enter your OS password in the “Keychain wants to make changes” dialog. – this will open a new dialog prompt requesting macOS Admin credentials in step 6 — this is safe and normal
6. Enter your OS username and password in the “macOS wants to make changes” dialog — your Admin creds are likely the same as your user profile unless your machine is managed or has multiple users. If you don’t have it, contact your admin.
7. And you should now be solid and reconnected
You may have to do this for multiple saved Keychain passwords depending on the app in question, breeze through the same process loop and you should be golden.
Hope this helps, good luck!
If you found this helpful, like > follow > share > comment.
CR Rollyson is a Digital UX & Web manager for a S&P 500 FinTech company and is the COO of Side Role, a marketing agency partnering with In-house Teams & Agencies, Non-profits, and Start-Ups. Learn more about Side Role here.